22 February 2010

Chick flick

I’m a chick flick sort of girl. I like movies where the central themes are about building human relationships and making peace with yourself. If the characters are somewhat fashion minded with great shoes and accessories, that’s a big plus. I like intelligent dialog, sweet sentimentality and a good, old-fashioned Hollywood happy ending (sniffle, sniffle).

After all, with the price of movies these days ($19 for two tickets before 5pm thank you very much and $5 for a small popcorn) I don’t need to add an artificial layer of stress to my current existence. I don’t want anxiety, loud bangs, aggressive personalities or dark suspense. I’d be emotionally wiped out by the time the movie is over.

So, dear filmmakers, I realize I might be among a rapidly declining demographic, but please keep making chick movies. Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. I saw Dear John and it was a pretty good movie. Although I passed up Sherlock Holmes to spend the night with a huge crowd of high school girls drooling, it was something to make guys envious of. A real relationship and a rock hard body. I need to hit the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone! I identify with that. I mainly like documentaries, and the last I saw is called The Cave of The Yellow Dog. It tells the story of... a nomadic family in Mongolia! Nothing to do with bangs and pursuits. It's a real masterpiece, an honest and humble one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recommendation - sounds exquisite! Recently I've been thinking of Mostly Marta, one of my honest-to-goodness favorite films ever. I think perhaps it is a german film made about 10 years ago. It was sweet and poetic and lovely. Hope you are refreshed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some nights a chick flick is exactly what the doctor ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a sucker for those movies myself. I loved Lady Jane, Lars and the Real Girl, Say Anything, The Notebook. I don't know if you could classify The World According to Garp or Cold Mountain as true chick flicks, but I loved them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They will never stop making chick flicks. It's a reliable market and is not going away anytime soon. I can figure them out too easily and am a guy so I usually don't watch them. Thelma and Louise was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like chick flicks, too. I am not into sci-fi or fantasy...horror films traumatize, me. I don't get the really dumb comedies (like Dumb and Dumber) and the high action produces so much tension in me I find it hard to settle back down....maybe, my age is just starting to show!

    ReplyDelete