29 April 2010

Gratitude at work

Eight years ago I decided to change my career and I left my job in the private sector to become involved, as a volunteer, in the world of nonprofit. I was not sure what I was going to end up doing by way of a permanent career change, but I knew I wanted to immerse myself, meet people and learn about this unfamiliar segment of the business world as quickly as possible.

Eventually, I wound up working at an organization for which I have great respect. I believe in the mission and admire the brilliant scientists here that make contributions to our world. I am grateful to be a small part of this organization. It is something much bigger than me and it stands for something good. It touches lives and sometimes even saves lives.

Today, one of the scientists here was named in Time magazine’s annual list of the world’s 100 most influential people. He is a professor and chair of the Department of Lymphoma and Myeloma. His field of research involves harnessing the human immune system to develop a cancer vaccine and this important work is gaining attention. Congratulations to Larry Kwak, M.D., Ph.D.

5 comments:

  1. Someday....I to dream of having a job that I am proud to of. ....... but I don't think it is in my forseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes loads of dedication to stick with nonprofits. You have to do a lot more with less but at least you aren't working for some evil company. And there is a huge sense of pride in working at a place where you know the mission is noble and actually about helping people. Seems like you are among some brilliant minds. And I hope the breakthroughs keep coming for the cancer research. Congrats to Dr.Kwak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working in nonprofit organizations can truly be inspirational. Congratulations to him and to your whole team. And cheers to achieving the impossible through hard work and hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brava to you and Larry Kwak!

    I so admire you for changing careers and doing something that you truly feel is making a difference in this world.

    You GO, girl!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Congrats to your colleague. It's inspiring to have a job that you love.

    ReplyDelete