24 April 2010

Mischief

It was 6:45am Friday and I noticed several cars pulling into the parking lot of a largely abandoned shopping strip on my way to work. Then I realized they were cutting through the parking lot to zip over to the Shipley Donut shop. Thoughtful folks that they were, they were probably going to get a big box to take in for their coworkers. Or maybe not, who knows?

Regardless, it reminded me of a story that my mom likes to tell from time to time. About Shipley donuts. The best darned donuts around, if I do say so myself.

When my brother and I were young kids, my dad would buy a dozen Shipley donuts from time to time, as a Saturday morning treat. He wasn’t the type of man who would get up early on Saturday morning to drive over to the donut store to get fresh donuts. He’d buy them the night before and wrap the box in kitchen towels to try to keep them fresh. My brother and I were kids and didn’t know the difference. I guess my mom and dad just didn’t much care whether the donuts were fresh or not-so-fresh. In hindsight, this is weird, because my dad loved sweets.

Anyway, one particular Friday night, we had a box of Shipley donuts on our kitchen counter wrapped in dish towels.

The next morning, Dad awoke and made his way into the kitchen. He noticed my younger brother sitting on the floor watching cartoons. As he started making the coffee, he glanced over to the box of eagerly awaited Shipley donuts and to his surprise, only saw an empty counter. Naturally, he asked my brother where he put the donuts, thinking he had already snaked one or two from the box.

Hey, where’d you put the donuts?

What donuts?

Uh-oh.

A quick look around the house revealed an empty donut box and some kitchen towels casually tossed aside. And a family dog with an upset stomach casually sleeping it off in the laundry room. Apparently the kitty had acted as an accomplice and pushed the box to the floor for amusement.

No one else was very amused at the time, but all these years later, it is a continued source of amusement, at least for my mom, my brother and me.

5 comments:

  1. OMG, this post is adorable!

    Especially this part.....

    "Apparently the kitty had acted as an accomplice and pushed the box to the floor for amusement."

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......don't you just LOVE how clever kitties are!?!?!?

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had several food missing/dog related incidents over the years...
    And although extrememly mad at the time, in retrospect it's all rather funny. Especially when the dog gives you that look of , "Hey. Could you spare some Tums?"
    :-)

    Great story! Now I want some donuts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny. We grew up with a yellow lab famous for stealing hot pancakes off the kitchen counter. Donuts? I've always been a Krispie Kreme girl. They're terrible for you, so thank goodness we don't have one in town. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog did that with a fresh loaf of banana bread...she moaned and slept it off, acted almost like a human with a hangover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No that would not amuse me at ALL. I am very territorial with my food and donuts.

    ReplyDelete