09 November 2009

Second favorite, a dubious distinction

Recently, Cristy and I have become regular customers at our local Lowe’s home improvement store. We have visited most of the sections in the store: plumbing, electrical, home organization, window coverings, paint, lawn and garden, hardware. And during these visits, we have had an opportunity to interact with a variety of Lowes employees. We remember them on our successive trips, and they remember us.

Cristy is easy to remember. When she engages in conversation, she’s one of those people who asks questions about the other person, encouraging them to talk about themselves, their kids, their pets. People like her.

Last week I was in Lowes on a solo trip; I had only a short list of items to purchase. I ran into Michael, one of the sales associates that we adore. He’s friendly, helpful, handsome and likes dogs. Plus, he’s a Houston fireman, a job that carries a fair amount of distinction. Anyone who is willing to run into a burning building to save someone’s life is way more than OK in my book.

I spent a moment or two chatting with Michael about a project. Then he said, almost in passing, that Cristy and I were his second favorite customers.

Second favorite?

I didn’t quite know how to respond. Somehow I was crushed. I told Cristy later. She was appalled. We’re cute. We spend a fair amount of money there. We are there at least 5 timed per week and sometimes twice on Saturday!

Hey Michael, what’s the deal? What do we need to do to get the top spot?

No comments:

Post a Comment