05 January 2010

Blackout blues

At 6:26 this morning, I was running just a tad bit late. Still needed to get dressed, so I dashed into my closet to pull out a suitable outfit for this chilly morning. As I quickly contemplated my choices, the lights went out. I’m standing in the closet in complete and total darkness.

I found my robe and slippers, then felt my way through the dressing room, around the dogs still sleeping on the floor, to the nearest window to make a quick assessment. Was the blackout affecting any neighbors or did the condition appear to be isolated to our own house? Hmmm. Thankfully, the half moon was visible in the sky and cast a fair amount of light over the yard and beyond. Seemed rather quiet in the neighborhood, there were two visible lights in other yards, but most appeared to be without lights.

Decided to skip any interaction with the circuit panel and made my way through the interior of the house to the kitchen. Last time I checked, there was a flashlight in one of these drawers...one of them...somewhere. Sure would be handy if I could just switch on the lights to find it. Found it, thank heavens, and it still works. Cristy is such a genius to keep working flashlights in the utility drawers! That is one of the reasons I love her so - I would NEVER think of this.

Next, over to the pantry to pull out some candles and light a path from the exit door back to the dressing room. This circumstantial change made dressing so much easier. I just pulled out the first warm jacket I saw and added black pants and loafers. Nothing too fashionable today. A quick comb through the hair and spritz. Oh wait, is it safe to use hairspray around candles? Not sure.

Following the illuminated path, I tracked back to the door leading to the garage. The next task was to disengage the overhead garage door so I could get the car out. Being the technophobe that I am, I absolutely despise having to make a configuration change to any electro-mechanical device. What if I break it? But I cobbled together some fortitude, pulled the red cord, and tugged at the garage door until I got it open. Success!

Back indoors. 7:48am, 18 minutes late, darn! The house is already beginning to get cooler. Pour my thermos of coffee, deliver the flashlight to Cristy, say goodbye, pull on my gloves, get keys, backpack and make my exit.

I love having electricity. Note to self – send a thank-you note to HL&P tonight (assuming the power is restored when I return home).

9 comments:

  1. Ah no! Without electricity makes life lonely, being in the dark and nothing working. But it also gives time to oneself, to self reflect on the things we don't really need and its peace of mind.... then the lights come on and OUCH my eyes! I was eating a peanut butter sandwich when I read your reply about shopping while football games are on and I almost choked from laughter because the peanut butter was extra crunchy =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can get the garage door disconnected like you did, but I have a terrible time getting it reconnected! Here's hoping you have power on tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Received an update on that front already. Cristy reconnected it before she left for work and the electricity had been restored. The door opens just fine, but you have to keep the button squeezed down for the door to close again. She already spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out. I am so not going to add any value to that troubleshooting effort. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when the electricity goes out. The things we take for granted. The Maytag repairman was supposed to come today (been waiting over a week)...they just called and he went home sick (doesn't he know he's not allowed to get sick?!) and now it's going to be over another week before they can get here!!!!!UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing makes you appreciate the little things in life, like being thrown back into the stone age at random.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it really too much to ask for the electric company to pre-warn us of these little episodes so that it won't be quite so troublesome? I could adopt my log-cabin-girl routine much more easily with a bit of foreward planning. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I can see the absence during the holiday week, but absolutely no sick time allowed. I'm pretty sure this is in violation of some Maytag rule. I feel for you. Would SO not want to try to get by without a washing machine for longer than a few days. Painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hope your power's back! The only good thing about losing power in winter is not worrying about food spoiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now the coldest time of the year is soooo not the time for something like this. What was HPL THINKING? Hope you're back t operational soon. Would have given you the Lemonade Stand had Suzicate not already done so herself. I thoroughly enjoy your daily adventures. Now if that power isn't back on, I'm sure you'll have more stories to tell. At least your blog readers will reap something from it. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete