16 March 2010

Learning, living

Another way of looking at my 49th birthday is the realization that yesterday I started living my 50th year. I accidentally overslept, went to work, finished a task, sent some thank you notes, did some laundry, completed an income tax return and prepared some food to get me through the week. I left a few tasks incomplete, but there are no dire consequences as a result. I will get to them.

Fifty is a rather significant milestone. It has a lot of depth, symmetry and context. Mathematically, you can express fifty in many different numerical combinations.

Maybe I’m getting more like that too.

I paused to consider what I can do with the days in my life that come next. There is nothing I can do to change the days that have come before. Perhaps that realization is a perfect place to begin.

Old memories bubble to the surface from time to time. Some memories are not exactly pleasant and I wish things might have been different. I wish I might have been wiser, made better choices, felt more confident, had a stronger connection with my faith, my voice, my desires.

Going forward, I’d like to grab these memories as they surface and dissect them, extracting every lesson, every grain of truth and each strand that connects me to God. I have been given the opportunity to live another day, this day. A chance to expand my own depth of humanity and embody symmetry in my life with a healthy balance between reason and creativity. A chance to express my individuality in many combinations of interests and pursuits. A chance to reflect the golden love of God, that precious gift in my heart, as I interact with people all around me.

But only if I am willing to learn from the experiences of my past, those lessons from the divine. Honor the mistakes, understand the difference between me then and me now. Illuminate the path ahead with a brighter candle, lit with faith, love, forgiveness and courage.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday BTW. Long ways to go yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words, Brilliant reflection. Stunning post! Happy Birthday to an awesome writer and thinker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Your reflections of where you've been, and desire to use those to expand on where you are now, shows a tremendous joy at living your life to the fullest. I'd say well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 is a milestone. I'll be into my 50th year soon enough. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the need to pause and contemplate. Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped counting when I hit 50. I hit 53 last week (I think). Life started anew after 50 and I have too much to accomplish in the years I have left to worry about counting them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you! 49 years of blessing this planet and all in it who you come in contact with. I always enjoy your writing, your thoughts, your kindness and love for the things that matter. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honouring the past can be very difficult, especially if you have unpleasant memories (which I'm sure most of us have), but fifty is as good a place to start as any. As is 51, 52, 53, 54 and 55! Or even 80.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you got the right idea. You have figured out a lot. this is good. Go fourth and conquer the next 50 years.

    ReplyDelete