03 March 2010

Lost + found (squared)

In December, I lost (misplaced) my driver’s license. That misfortune cost me several hours down at the DMV office waiting in a crowded, stuffy room to apply for a replacement. In January, I found it. In my car of all places. It apparently had spilled out of my purse at some point and fallen between the front passenger seat and door. Once I actually opened the passenger side door, it was easily visible. I just hadn’t bothered to look there previously.

At the time I found it, I was on the way to walk down the street and collect the mail, so I just placed it in the pocket of my jacket. As of yesterday, it was still there. I don’t wear that jacket very often, but with the cool weather, it has definitely gotten some wear of late. And every time I place my hand in the pocket, I notice it with surprise.

But since I don’t really need it, I haven’t done anything with my old driver’s license. Haven’t filed it. Haven’t destroyed it. It’s just there, in the pocket of that jacket.

Last night I went to fill up my car with gas and pulled on that jacket for a layer of warmth. Then somewhere between removing the gas cap and paying for the fuel the driver’s license fell to the ground unnoticed.

And someone else picked it up. And apparently googled me and found my blog. She left a message on my blog in the wee hours of the morning that she had my license and offered to mail it back to me. She’s a blogger too. I visited her blog today and found it very inspiring.

How awesome is that? (Well, not the part about me being completely irresponsible with a piece of personal identification.) The other part, about the cool person who tracked me down and offered to return my wayward driver’s license. Bloggers rock!

9 comments:

  1. Whoa, that could've been creepy, but turned out nice. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good outcome...bloggers do rock!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 6 degrees of seperation just went down to 5. Last year, someone returned my iPod that I had left in the park, with a bunch of info on it. It is random acts of kindness such as this that make it harder and harder for me to be cynical these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with @lotus07: great stories like this one restore my faith in humanity every time I hear them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story. Bloggers do rock. Let's hope that one isn't also an identity theif. If she was, of course, I couldn't imagine her actually returning the license. It's true. Sometimes good things happen. Happy endings! I misplace everything, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you need to attach a chain to your license and wear around your neck. Seems you have a problem keeping that in ck. maybe we could make room on the keychain hook by garage door?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool and you could not have scripted it better. I love it when things work out like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just great! I've started my day reading your story and it cheered me up. Bloggers are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!! Just wanted to write you a note and thank you SO MUCH for the wonderful Houston suggestions. I am going to Google and research the options you've recommended. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I would like to do a little shopping, but hate to drag David along, so I think we will do some museums and maybe the Butterfly one. Forever indebted, Terri xox

    ReplyDelete