06 September 2009

Diane's weather almanac

OK, it's not the Farmer's Almanac, but I stand by it.

There are four principles that govern the weather in Houston:
1. The last cold snap of winter will coincide with the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo
2. After this last cold snap, the next 2-3 weeks will be heavenly, true resort weather
3. But before long, it will be clear that it’s going to be a hot summer
4. The first cool snap of fall will occur the third week of September.

Soon fall will be on the way. Just yesterday Gracyn was in the back yard foraging for acorns. No, she’s not a squirrel, she’s a dog, but well, she’s Gracyn. It reminded me of an acorn story from a previous autumn.

One particular October morning in 1988 as I was preparing to leave the house for work, I noticed a distinct clattering noise coming from outside. The noise grew much louder when I walked outside. It was coming from across the street and I took a few steps then stopped in amazement. A large oak tree was literally raining acorns. Hundreds, no thousands of acorns were pouring out of the tree and bouncing across the sidewalk and street below. I have never seen anything like that since. Gracyn would have loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment